I read a very interesting blog today by a very talented writer.
She was justifying fan fiction, because some people make it out into something it's not.
I thought I'd share it with the very few people who actually read my blog because it's honestly amazing written with very good points and what not.
The following is not my own, but the writting of a very, very talented girl.
"So obviously, bandslash is a little more controversial than, say, Harry Potter fiction. We're dealing with real people in bandom, whereas in other fandoms, you are dealing with fictional people. However, if we're being honest, our characters are 95% fictional. Do I know Gabe Saporta? William Beckett? Have I watched them make slow, sweet, vigorous love to each other? Sadly, no. I may have some facts thrown in; their birthdays, their respective bands, eye colour, etc. However, for the most part, my characters are what I make them. The real people, the guys who are actually in those bands, are basically just shells; masks. We use their appearance, their lives, who they know, and take it from there.
Bandom has some of the most creative minds fiction has seen, but we're all written off as wannabe writers who have nothing better to do than fangirl. I am not denying, nor have I ever denied, that I am a fangirl. A wannabe writer? Fuck you. I am a writer. It doesn't matter if it's fanfiction, original fiction, poetry, lyrics, what have you. Writing is writing, and anyone who says that fanfiction is a crutch for wannabes or not a legit form of writing is ignorant.
People say it's creepy, it's gross, it's disrespectful. In regards to it being creepy and gross: I guarantee there are writers in the fandom who could win awards with their talent. Change the names, maybe tweak the physical descriptions, and all the people who say it's creepy and gross would be rushing to the library to get their copy. And as far as disrespectful? I think we, as writers, have more respect than the people leaving comments on the band member's blogs or on their frendsorenemies accounts. Because even though we make them who we want them to be in our writing, they are still, in a sense, our characters. We would not disrespect our characters any more than we'd disrespect our friends or family. They mean something to us, no matter who thinks that's fucked up.
So keep leaving your feedback of lol gr8 vid guys. bill is so hawt! And honestly. Tell me that what I'm doing is stupid, when you can't write in full sentences and I'm writing 1,000+ words about just how "hawt" Bill really is."
Here's the link to her blog.
XOX
Twitter Updates
I met a boy. Prepare to shatter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment